This happened because I wanted to do something a little special for a recent houseguest, and the idea for bacon-stuffed cinnamon rolls popped into my head. The concept has been making the rounds out there on the Internet, but I wanted to scale mine down so I wouldn’t have to commit to eating a big ol’ cinnamon roll. After all, it is possible to have too much of a good thing. My little experiment actually turned out pretty well, so here goes:
Bacon-Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls
Makes 10 mini cinnamon rolls
1 package refrigerated cinnamon rolls with icing (I used a 17.5 oz package of Immaculate Baking Company Cinnamon Rolls, contains 5 rolls)
10 slices bacon
1) Put bacon on a rack in a foil-lined baking sheet and place the sheet in a cold oven.
2) Heat oven to 350 degrees F (or follow cinnamon roll package directions). Let the bacon cook for a few minutes while the oven heats up. Take it out before the bacon crisps. You want it to be cooked a bit but still nice and bendy. Remove excess grease with a paper towel.
3) Unroll cinnamon dough into a flat sheet. Cut strips in half widthwise. Place a piece of bacon on each dough strip. Roll up the dough to enclose the bacon.
4) Place rolls in a lined or greased muffin pan.
5) Bake according to cinnamon roll package directions. I baked these for 18 minutes.
6) Let cool for a few minutes before topping with the icing that came with the rolls.
Each cute little roll was about a 3-biter, and the bacon inside got the big wows from my breakfast crowd. Best of all, they were very easy to make. These are definitely going to make a reappearance next weekend.