For Strawberry Topping
1 pound strawberries , stemmed and chopped
2 tbsp sugar
zest from 1 lemon
juice from 1 lemon
3 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
12 tbsp butter (1 1/2 sticks)
1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream
For Whipped Topping
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
2 tbsp powdered sugar (icing sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium sized bowl, mix strawberries with 2 tablespoons sugar lemon zest and lemon juice. Toss well and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and mix together. Add butter and cut cut it in using a pastry cutter or 2 knives or forks until it resembles peas. In a small bowl whisk together the half and half and the 2 eggs and add to the bowl with flour mixture. Stir with a fork and then eventually use your hands to mix the dough a bit until it comes together. Turn the dough onto your work surface and knead until it’s no longer crumbles and it all comes together. Roll out so that it’s about 1 inch in thickness then using a 2 1/2 inch cutter cut into circles. You should get about 12 biscuits.
- Place biscuit on prepared baking sheet and bake for about 18 minutes or until golden.
- To make the whipped topping add whipped topping ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix on high until stiff peaks form.
To assemble shortcakes cut each biscuit in half. Spoon some of the whipped topping then strawberries with their juice onto each shortcake bottom. Place the shortcake on top. Spoon more strawberries over the top if preferred and serve.