Prep Time>30 minutes
Additional Time>6 hours
Total Time>6 hours 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, well chilled
- 2 large eggs (use pasteurized eggs if you have a compromised immune system), separated (see above for directions)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup (8 oz) mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp bourbon, Marsala wine, rum, coffee liqueur, espresso, or heavy cream
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup brewed espresso or strong coffee
- 1 (5 to 7 oz) package of crunchy ladyfinger cookies (use gluten-free if needed)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Grated semisweet chocolate, for garnish, optional
Please see conversion here
- Lightly butter an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish. Set aside.
- Prepare the Cream Layers: In a well-chilled bowl, using the whisk attachment of your standing mixer, whip the cream until you reach firm peaks. Set aside. Wash the whisk attachment in hot soapy water and dry.
- In another bowl, using the paddle attachment of your standing mixer, beat the egg yolks with 1/4 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy and the sugar has dissolved. Pinch a little of the mixture between your fingers to see if you can still feel the granules. If you can, keep beating. Add the mascarpone, 3 tbsp of cocoa powder, and bourbon. Beat until light and smooth.
- Using a flexible spatula, fold half of the whipped cream into the beaten egg yolk mixture, lightening it. Add remaining whipped cream and fold in until completely integrated and no streaks remain. Set aside.
- In a clean bowl, using the whisk attachment of your standing mixer, beat the egg whites on medium-high until foamy and peaks are just starting to develop. Add the pinch of cream of tartar, pinch of salt, and remaining 2 tbsp of granulated sugar. Continue beating on high speed until you reach firm peaks (the whites will stand up when the beaters are lifted and the tips of the peaks will bend over slightly).
- Using a flexible spatula, fold half of the beaten egg whites into the mascarpone-cream mixture until combined but a few streaks still remain. Fold in remaining egg whites and keep folding until fully incorporated and there are no streaks remaining.
- Assemble the Tiramisu: Pour the espresso into a shallow bowl. Dip half of the cookies into the espresso on both sides and arrange in prepared baking dish, covering the bottom. Spread half of the mascarpone-cream mixture over the top, smoothing into an even layer with an offset spatula. Dip the remaining cookies in the espresso on both sides and arrange them over the top of the mascarpone-cream mixture. Spread the remaining cream over the top and smooth.
- Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight. Just before serving remove and discard the plastic wrap. Sift the remaining 1/4-cup of cocoa powder evenly over the top of the dish. Add a sprinkling of grated chocolate if desired. Cut into squares and serve immediately. Store any leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Make Ahead: The tiramisu can be held in the refrigerator, covered, up to 1 day ahead. It is best when it has been chilled overnight.